(im)material girl

In any field, find the strangest thing and then explore it.

American Physicist, John Archibald Wheeler

I am fascinated by the materiality of things and conversely elusivity itself. 

I want to see what happens when invisible forces and elements are allowed to take a hand. investigating materials, thinking through scenarios, and putting them into practice. removing the visible hand of the artist to create an illusion for the viewer and to evoke a sense of wonder. by setting up scenarios where the space itself is activated I seek to answer the question “what happens if?” and to pose the “why?”. 

as materials, reactions and kinesis come to the fore in my work I am trying to discover more about the science behind them, and how I can further exploit it. with a subtle nod to childhood memories of science kits and classroom experiments I am rediscovering basic chemistry and scientific principles. through a playful exploration of physics I aim to develop a greater understanding of forces, magnetism and magnetic fields, as well as light and areas of the electromagnetic spectrum. 

I want to invite the viewer to take notice, catch a glimpse; to make one aware, reveal that which is unseen or hinted at; to highlight invisible forces, make concepts tangible. in this I question the stuff of our transparent history and continue to ask,

what is left beyond memory when an act fades?