social cleansing and the transitory nature of space

musings on homelessness

whilst I was writing various texts for the mafa zines my mind went wandering in this direction, reflecting on a still fairly recent period in my life that no doubt continues to influence by work.

I wanted to use an old typewriter to produce faded incomprehensible text in places, to highlight the invisibility one can sometimes feel. additionally I used tracing paper, to highlight this invisibility and also to reflect the layering and residues of transition that I write about. the cover is made from a glossy white page that reflects the light and a sheet of acetate in which you can see your own image and a reflection of your surroundings, domestic or otherwise. typing on the acetate projects a shadow onto the page behind that further amplifies the repetition of travelling back and forth. inside, the tracing paper is folded in a way that has been used for maps, a Turkish fold. this seemed appropriate for both commenting on place and also for acknowledging aspects of oneself that we might like to be kept hidden, and compartmentalised by neatly folding away.

additional images taken from the wall of one of my homes